Monday, December 31, 2012

RIGHT HERE. RIGHT NOW.


Elly Bean, on her penultimate day walking this good, green earth, 
enjoying her moment in the sun.


 Today, apparently, is New Year's Eve. Out for a spin this afternoon, I was handed a ticket for LWI. I didn't even think I was going that fast. I will admit, I had my nose to the ground, and my back end was probably going a little faster than my front end, but c'mon! What the bark was this ticket for LWI? I looked closer.

The fine print showed me that it was for Living With Intention. “You're actually quite good at it,” a voice said. I looked around. Leaves, grass, stones, tree trunks... the usual assorted things to smell and pee on. I sniffed the wind. Heavenly, but no whiff of a person nearby. Was it the Universe talking to me? Was it the great Connection we all share? God? That boy down the street who aims his BB gun at me if I go up his drive?

I picked up my LWI gingerly in my teeth and took it with me, as I trotted home. I know on this date, the last day of the year, humans make lists of things they want to change in their lives for the coming year. I know they set their standards pretty high, too. Then they get discouraged. Then they give up and continue on in their habits that they had hoped to change in the first place.

We dogs don't do that. No lists. No need. But, I guess we do all share the trait of Living With Intention.

When my tail wags, it wags with full on intent: mostly in utter joy, sometimes with trepidation, but always it is there behind me doing what it is supposed to be doing at that point in time.

When I pull on my leash, when I gulp my food, or sit tidily for a cookie, dig a hole, chase a bunny, race down a hill with abandon, check my pee mail, scatter a flock of seagulls by running right through them, nuzzle the hand of the person I love best, and turn four times before I sleep, it's all I do. There is nothing else in the world that takes my focus from that moment. And since that moment is all I have, I am going to make it my tail-wagging best.

So, thanks for the ticket, whoever you were that was passing them out to all of us canines. I shall do my utmost in carrying on in Living With Intention for … well, right now. Because it isn't next year yet. It's not even tomorrow. Heck, it's not even dinner time. Right now. Right now. Here I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment