Sunday, October 28, 2012

SHARING OUR HOMES


Many of us share our homes with dogs. Other animals, too, but this is a dogblog. Thus the name. So, I would like to find out why, at least here on Whidbey Island: Why do you live with dogs? Don't be shy. I'll just ask for a show of hands, then.

Well, seems mine is the only hand up, at this point. Possibly because I have only just created this blog. So, I'll go first then, shall I?

I like the way their paws smell: earthy, musky, well-travelled. Really. Have you ever just flopped on the floor with your pooch and taken a deep whiff of a paw? That smell seems the very essence of who they are in this world.

I like their pure, unbridled joy when one of us comes home, whether it is from a (rare) vacation, a day at work, or just coming back from the recycling center. They are thrilled at the reunion. Sara (our border collie/flat coat retriever mix) is so elated, she has to trot around the house with a toy in her mouth, squealing in a glass-shattering pitch for about three minutes. Cooper (our Bernese/Golden mix) whines like a puppy and collapses for a belly rub, tail thumping the floor. When Sara gets ahold of herself, her squeals turn to yodels. Or “oodle-oo's,” as we call them. Between the “eeeeeeeeeeeee's,” the “oodles” and the dull thud, thud, thuds, we have quite a nice serenade welcoming us home. Every time. Without fail. No matter the hour.

I like their daily reminder that now is all we have. When stress gets the better of me or I find myself worrying about what might happen, I try to remind myself to look at my dogs, and see that they are not bogged down with the what-ifs and wherefores and what-might-a-beens that plague us. I am not very good at this. But they are. Great teachers, eh?

So, your turn. Why do your couches and beds have dog hair on them? Why are your floors decorated with muddy footprints, and why do your doorways have a jumble of old towels and leashes hanging within easy reach? What possible reasons could you have for sharing your home with dogs?






1 comment:

  1. My Harry is aptly named, though incorrect for her gender - I am never quite dressed without at least a few dog hairs. I LOVE her smell, though I am sure it might put some 'normal' people off. I do lay down with her and smell her paws! Dog toes are just indescribably cute!

    I know that humans evolved with dogs, but I'm not going to be scientific when speculating about why we put up with their dog-ness. I will say that our natural environments are the same, and we eat basically the same stuff. Most importantly, though, dogs make me laugh, loudly and unabashedly, just being themselves. They are emotional beings, as we are. I can't imagine life without them.

    ReplyDelete